PostDoc position on geography and cyber vulnerability
Postdoctoral position on geography and cyber vulnerability
Research project: IT services are becoming increasingly globalized that is a single service may comprise several components that are hosted in a number of countries around the globe. This has led to an explosion in the number of stakeholders that can decide and control how data traffic is handled; directly impacting the performance and stability of IT services. In addition, our society is to a large extent dependent on services that are hosted completely abroad. This reality is essentially paradoxical. Whereas we strive to improve the diversity in our national infrastructures, a vast number of vital services depends on international connectivity. Thus, making most nation states vulnerable to disruptions in international connectivity.
We are inviting applications to a two-year postdoctoral fellow position that will focus on studying implications of geo-location of Internet services on nations’ digital vulnerability. This fellowship will focus on charting the geographic spread of key online services, and geographically projecting end to end Internet routes. This will help identifying which countries are typically crossed by traffic related to key IT-services and thus painting a more complete picture of potential threats. To this end, there is a need to develop new algorithms that determine the actual physical paths that correspond to end-to-end cyber paths. Then monitor the stability of this mapping. The fellowship will also focus on mapping complete service chains at the application level as well as starting to construct a framework for understanding the tussle between national autonomy and cyber vulnerability.
- PhD in computer science or a related field
- Strong publication track record
- Good understanding of IP networking and Internet routing
- Experience with Internet measurements
- Familiarity with machine learning is a major advantage
- Fluency in R or Python is a plus
- Fluency in English both written and spoken
- A highly dynamic and motivated team of international researchers and engineers.
- A well-established collaboration with applied research teams and companies.
- Access to an internally hosted HPC infrastructure of experimental nature, specifically targeting heterogeneous architectures that are expected to be vital for future exascale computing.
- An informal and inclusive international working environment.
- Professional courses and workshops in scientific and transferable skills.
- Good office facilities located in the Oslo downtown.
- Support with administrative matters, EU funding, accommodation, and visas
- A competitive salary.
The successful candidate will also enjoy an inspiring and resourceful environment, with the possibility of travelling to conferences, short- and long-term research visits to existing and new collaborators.
We invite applications from highly qualified and motivated young scientists of any nationality and background in information technologies, computer sciences, applied mathematics, engineering and/or related fields.
Candidates are requested to upload a cover letter, CV including a list of publications, and contact information of three references (including the main supervisor). Postdoc applications should include a research statement (max. three pages). After initial screening, relevant candidates will be asked to provide further documentation of education and work experience.
Applications can only be submitted via our online system below.
The starting date is at the earliest convenience (negotiable), but preferably no later than November 1, 2018. Application deadline is September 1, 2018. However, applications will be screened continuously and a decision will be made as soon as we find the right candidate.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Find more information about Simula@OsloMet and the research topics here.
- Current job openings
- Job openings for Simula Metropolitan
- Books written or edited by Simula researchers
- Contact & directions
- Scientific evaluation of Simula
- The Simula Culture
- The Simula Code of Ethics
- Simula Milestones
- The Simula researcher of the year award
- Simula SpringerBriefs
- Strategies and Annual Reports
- Articles of Association (Vedtekter)
- Press resources