At Simula, we offer you the possibility to write your master thesis in an excellent research environment and to become involved in cutting-edge research. You will be working on relevant topics under high-quality supervision, and you will get an introduction to the craft of research as well as experience how research is done at Simula. Successful master students will have a good starting point for pursuing a career in research, at Simula or elsewhere.
In general, the master projects offered at Simula fall into one of two categories: (1) topics that are relevant to an ongoing research project; or (2) topics reflecting the supervisors wish to explore new ideas. The offered projects may be theoretical or practical and may be suitable for short or long project periods. At the beginning of each autumn semester, the research departments present some of the available master projects at seminars for potential students.
As a master student at Simula's premises, you benefit from being part of an active environment, both professionally and socially. As an enrolled student, you have access to the following benefits:
- A dedicated study room with individual workspaces and network connections.
- Participation in Simula welfare activities.
- Coffee, tea, and fruit are available free of charge on Simula's premises.
How to become a student with Simula
To apply as a master student at Simula, you must be enrolled at a collaborating degree-granting institution such as a University or a University College and have completed a bachelor degree in a related field with a minimum grade average of C. While your masters degree will be awarded by your university, Simula researchers offer you excellent supervision and the opportunity to work on cutting edge research.
To become a master student at Simula, you must first contact the potential supervisor(s) you are interested in working with (see: available projects). In addition to the pre-defined masters projects, it may also be possible to design a project that is tailored for your interests and background.
Once you have established a collaboration for your master thesis with a supervisor at Simula, please do the following:
- Familiarise yourself with the guidelines below
- Register yourself as a master student at Simula
- Complete the semester enrollment.
Simula Guidelines for Students
- As a master student at Simula, you need to register your enrollment each semester until completion of the degree.
- Study regulations at the collaborating university apply, and a written agreement between the student and the Simula supervisor must be submitted to the collaborating university.
- When the master degree has been completed, please send us updated information about your thesis by using this form.
- If for any reason you do not complete your degree with supervision from Simula, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an email to your supervisor with a copy to email@example.com.
Completed degrees with supervision from Simula
Please indicate that you have completed your degree by using the form "Reporting of Completed Master Degree".