TIDENET: Theoretical and Data-driven Approaches for Energy-efficient Networks
The ICT industry is, quite rightly, criticized for its rapidly rising energy usage, contributions to CO2 emissions and for not taking its responsibility to the environment seriously. The sector causes world-wide CO2 emissions comparable to the airline industry. This increasing energy consumption of the ICT infrastructures has a direct and negative impact on the environment, the service operators, the manufacturers, and the society.
TIDENET is a highly innovative research project within the FRINATEK program. The goal of TIDNET is to create a less power consuming ICT sector. The main objectives of TIDENET are to study the energy-efficiency problem in wireless networks; and the fundamental interaction between wireless networks and the smart grid. Both a theoretical and a practical approach are taken. Theoretical studies are needed in order to develop thorough understanding of how energy is used in communications systems. Such understanding will help find new solutions to increased energy efficiency in these systems. In our practical approach we implement and validated these solutions to understand how energy is saved in real systems. The solutions are not only good for communications networks, the power grid and environment; they also help support sustainable ICT industry.
RCN (Research Council of Norway) FRINATEK Project
- Simula Research Laboratory, Norway
- University of Oslo, Norway
- Best Paper Award, The 15th IEEE International Conference on Scalable Computing and Communications (IEEE ScalCom 2015), August 10-14, Beijing, China
- Best Paper Award, The 11th International Conference on Heterogeneous Networking for Quality, Reliability, Security and Robustness (QShine
- 2015), August 19-20, 2015, Taipei, Taiwan
- Best Paper Award, The 1st International Conference on Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems (INISCOM 2015), Japan
- R. Yu, X. Huang, J. Kang, J. Ding, S. Maharjan, S. Gjessing, and Y. Zhang, "Cooperative Resource Management in Cloud-enabled Vehicular Networks", accepted by IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- R. Yu, J. Ding, S. Maharjan, S. Gjessing, Y. Zhang, and D. Tsang, "Decentralized and Optimal Resource Cooperation in Geo-distributed Mobile Cloud Computing", accepted by IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing
- Y. Han, S. Jin, X. Li, H. Zhang, R. Yu and Y. Zhang, "Investigation of Transmission Schemes for Millimeter-Wave Massive MU-MIMO Systems", accepted by IEEE Systems Journal
- J. Ding, R. Yu, Y. Zhang, S. Gjessing and D. Tsang, "Service Providers Competition and Cooperation in Cloud-based Software Defined Wireless Networks", accepted by IEEE Communications Magazine
- C. Shao, S. Leng, Y. Zhang, A. Vinel, and M. Jonsson, "Performance Analysis of Connectivity Probability and Connectivity-aware MAC Protocol Design for Platoon-based VANETs", accepted by IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- Y. Liu, C. Yuen, R. Yu, Y. Zhang and S. Xie, "Queuing-Based Energy Consumption Management for Heterogeneous Residential Demands in Smart Grid", accepted by IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid
- S. Maharjan, Q. Zhu, Y. Zhang, S. Gjessing and T. Basar, "Demand Response Management in the Smart Grid in a Large Population Regime",
- accepted by IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid
- J. Kang, R. Yu, S. Maharjan, Y. Zhang, X. Huang, S. Xie, H. Bogucka, and S. Gjessing, "Toward Secure Energy Harvesting Cooperative Networks", IEEE Communications Magazine, vol.53, no.8, pp.114-121, Aug.2015.
- W. Zhong, R. Yu, Y. Zhang, J. Kang, H. Zhang, and S. Xie, "Dynamic Demand Balance in Vehicle-to-Grid Mobile Energy Networks", IEEE ICC 2015
- X. Huang, R. Yu, J. Kang, J. Ding, S. Maharjan, S. Gjessing and Y. Zhang, "Dynamic Resource Pricing and Scalable Cooperation for Mobile Cloud Computing", IEEE Scalcom 2015 (Best Paper Award)
- R. Yu, X. Huang, J. Kang, C. Yuen, A. Vinel, M. Jonsson, S. Gjessing and Y. Zhang, "An Optimal Replenishment Strategy in Energy Harvesting Wireless Networks with A Mobile Charger", QSHINE 2015 (Best Paper Award)
International Collaborators Visit
- T. Basar, August 2015
- J. Wang, July 2015
- D. Yau, September 2015
- "Intelligent Demand Response towards Green and Reliable Smart Energy Networks", the 14th the International Conference on Ad Hoc Networks and Wireless (ADHOC-NOW), June/July 2015, Greece
- "Vehicle-to-Grid Systems: an emerging interdisciplinary field", Energy Informatics workshop at University of Oslo, Norway, 2015
- "QoS in Cognitive Radio based Smart Grid", EU project meeting, University of Lancaster, UK. 2015
- "Hybrid Spectrum Sharing in Cognitive Two-Way Relay Networks", EU project meeting, University of Lancaster, UK. 2015
- "Energy Harvesting Device-to-Device Communications for 5G", IC1004 Cost action meeting, 2015
- "ICT for Smart Energy", Xi'dian University, China, 2015
- "Smart Grid Communications: Challenges and Solutions", Guangdong University of Petrochemical Technology, China, 2015
- "Cyber Physical Smart Grid Systems", National Institute of Informatics, Japan, 2015
- "ICT for Smart Energy", ZTE Norway, 2015
- "Connectivity-aware Medium Access Control in Platoon-based Vehicular Networks", Halmstad University, Sweden, 2015
- International Workshop on Connecting All Things for Enabling Smart Cities (CONTEST)", in conjunction with IEEE VTC Spring 2016 - Workshop organization approved
- New project granted: IKTPLUSS Project IoTSec (Security in IoT for Smart Grids) granted by Research Council of Norway (RCN). We are involved as the partner working on privacy issues in the smart grid
- Guest co-editor: IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, special issue on "Social Networks Security"
- Guest co-editor: ACM/Springer Mobile Networks & Applications (MONET), Special issue on "Advanced Industrial Networks with IoT and Big Data"
- Track Co-chair: "Mobile and Wireless Networks" track, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE PIMRC 2016), Sept. 2016, Valencia, Spain.
- Track chair: "Energy Efficiency" track, the 4th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud (FiCloud 2016), Vienna, Austria, 22-24 August 2016
- Demo Co-chair: IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (IEEE CCNC 2016), 9-12 January 2016, Las Vegas, USA
- Program co-chair: 9th International Wireless Internet Conference (WICON 2016), December 2016 Sanya, People's Republic of China
- Program co-chair: 1st International Conference on Smart Grid Inspired Future Technologies (SmartGIFT 2016), Liverpool, UK, May 2016
- Symposium Co-Chair: Cyber Security Symposium, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm 2015) , 2-5 November 2015, Miami, USA
- Track Co-Chair: The 7th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (IEEE CloudCom 2015), Canada
- Workshop Co-Chair: International Conference on Ad-Hoc Networks and Wireless (ADHOCNOW 2015), Anthens, Greece, June 2015